For May is Better Speech and Hearing Month we have more speech, language, and voice trivia questions.
1. Speech-language pathologists can work in which of the following settings:
B. Armed Forces
D. Rehabilitation Facilities
E. All of the above
2. Colin Firth starred in this movie about King George VI, who famously stuttered throughout his life….
_________ _______________ ________________
3. This famous actress/singer suffered an “ill-fated” vocal cord operation and as a result her vocal range is “a fragile alto” now.
(Hint: She starred in “The Sound of Music”)
4. Which famous late night talk show host has Bachelor of Arts in speech-language pathology?
A. Jay Leno
B. Jimmy Kimmel
C. Jimmy Fallon
D. David Letterman
5. Boys are 5 times more likely than girls to have autism.
6. About how many children with autism do not speak?
7. Children on the autism spectrum have a marked impairment in the use of nonverbal cues such as eye to eye gaze, facial expression, body posture and gestures to regulate social interaction.
8. How many people have communication disorders in the United States today?
A. 100, 000
B. 10 million
C. 40 million
D. 20 million
8. How many Americans have some degree of hearing loss?
A. 1 million
B. 10 million
C. 20 million
D. 36 million\
10. About how many children have noticeable speech disorders by 1st grade?
11. Poor communication skills can lead to problems in…
A. Participating in classroom instruction
B. Developing and maintaining relationships
C. Understanding classroom instruction
D. All of the above
Did you know….
Children with communication disorders are more likely to struggle with literacy skills. They often perform poorly in school, have difficulty understanding and expressing language, and have problems reading. These children have trouble reaching their true academic potential due to their speech and language disorders. In addition, these children tend to have issues with frustration and poor self-esteem and may be at risk for depression. Don’t wait and hope your child will outgrow a communication problem. Early detection leads to early treatment. The earlier you get help for your child, the better.
To learn more identifying signs for speech, language, hearing, and voice disorders go to: